Friday, May 27, 2011

Step 7: Smile More

Sorry it’s been so many days since my last post; the wifi in my house hasn’t been working well despite my attempts to sweet talk it into a stable connection. Oh, well.

Anyway, the 7th step on the journey to kick-assery is to smile more. I could explain that 9 out of 10 very important scientists agree that smiling releases chemicals in your brain that trick it into thinking it’s happy, but that would require research and fact citing and as I explained earlier, my internet isn’t working well. I could tell you that it takes more muscles to frown than to smile but I have hope that my readers not old or sickly enough to make decisions based upon the number of muscles it takes to do things.

My reason for smiling is this: it makes you look happy and friendly and sometimes if you smile people give you free things. My German ancestry has given me what I consider a naturally stern face. Here I am with a neutral expression:

This can be helpful when one when one doesn’t want to be bothered by those people who hand out religious tracts on campus, but in situations when I want to project positivity and nonviolence, I try to smile.

Smiling can also lead to material perks. For example, during the school year I work in the career development office on campus, and I can’t tell you how many free mugs,
t-shirts, letter openers, and reusable tote bags I have accumulated thanks to a non-threatening facial expression.

It is important to note that there are occasions in which smiling too broadly or at all may be inappropriate. Examples of these might be:

1. After hitting a pedestrian or family pet with your car
2. While escaping a burning building
3.After hearing of an acquaintance's death or illness
4. While performing or receiving a pap smear

If at anytime your face begins to cramp or twitch uncomfortably you have overdone it and should abort the smile immediately.

XOXO Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment